Write Track is on the cutting edge of implementing Core Curriculum:
- Reasoning and writing response skills have have been improved as a result of implementing Write Track™ strategies in
elementary and high schools.
- Evaluations from teachers taking Write Track™ university courses show wide-spread thumbs-up approval for strategies that
lessen student apprehension in facing Core Curriculum demands.
- Contact The Write Track™ for more information and references
News from Orange County Schools where 24 schools have participated in training with the Write Track program:
- 100 schools in the country have been selected as model schools for 2005 by the International Center for Leadership in Education, which is funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. In Orange County, Florida, two were selected as model schools. These two were Pine Castle Elementary School and Rolling Hills Elementary School. One commonality between the two schools is that they are BOTH using the Write Track as their writing program. Rolling Hills has been teaching Write Track strategies for six years and the Pine Castle staff has just completed their third year of training with our program. Congratulations to the students, teachers, and administrators of these schools.
- Both Cheney and Sadler Elementary Schools in Orange County Florida produced remarkable results in the writing section of the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test) as a result of their recent implementation of the Write Track program in their schools. The test is scored from 1-6, with 6 being the highest level of achievement. In 2004, only 19% of the students at Cheney Elementary scored above a 4. This year, after using the Write Track strategies, an impressive 52% of Cheneys students scored a 4 or better. Sadler Elementary improved from 13% of all students scoring above a 4 in 2004, to 47% scoring a 4 or better in 2005. Congratulations to the staff and students for all their hard work. Special appreciation goes to our consultant, Kathryn Thompson-Burns who worked diligently with the faculty and students to make this happen.
- Sunrise Elementary School, also in Orange County, and a Write Track school for the past five years, received the highest scores of their 108-school district with 86% of its students scoring above a 4. When Sunrise began working with the Write Track only 41% of its students scored above a 4. Consistency, commitment, and continuity have allowed Sunrise to attain this high level of achievement. Congratulations to the teachers and administrators.
|Tanio McCallum, left, Dr. D. Gess, right at the 2005 NJTESOL Conference.
- On May 22, 2005, Dr. Diane Gess, president and founder of the Write Track, was awarded an honorary degree in humane letters from Gratz College in Pennsylvania for her contribution to the writing education of teachers and students in the state of Pennsylvania and the country. Gratz College is one of the schools of higher education that grants graduate credit for the Write Track course, Teaching Writing and Thinking Across the Curriculum.
- Visitors by the scores stopped by the Write Track booth as the New Jersey TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Conference in May. The participating teachers loved the workshop Dr. Gess hosted on Writing Strategies for English as Second Language Students.
- Jerri Neduchal, formerly an employee of Orange County Public Schools in Florida, has joined our consulting staff and will be actively delivering training in Florida as well as other sites.